On the Tumblr weebsite, there are a variety of helpful tutorials that can teach you how to create posts with these features. Spending a about 15-20 minutes browsing through these tutorials can teach you all of you need to know about the technicalities of using Tumblr.
Tumblr is a microblogging site that is between Twitter and a traditional blog. There are no length restrictions on Tumblr posts, but the culture of the site encourages short updates, and many users stick to this format. The major feature that makes Tumblr stand out is that it divides up posts by type: Text, Photo, Quote, Link, Chat, Audio, and Video
Depending on the type of post, you can choose different template. Just as with Twitter, users must Follow a Tumblr blog to keep up with it. Posts from all your followed blogs show up on the Dashboard (like to a Facebook Newsfeed) in reverse chronological order. Tumblr makes it easy to reblog posts, while adding your own commentary. Users can also Like a post.
List Your Company Name in Tags. Use the power of tags in creating your posts. After you create a post, you will be able to add specific tags to your post.
The reason of these tags are so useful is because search engines can pick them up, and your post can appear as one of the first listings for a specific keyword. This means that you should include the name of your small business as a tag for each post that you create, along with the type of product that your company sells.
Create Three to Five Posts a Day. Unlike other blogging sites, a Tumblr account requires frequent posts. Once you gain a constant stream of followers, they will continue to check in with your blog site to see new information about your business. You should to update a your Tumblr account at least three to five times every day. This will ensure that you maintain the number of followers who are arriving at your Tumblr page.
Link to Your Tumblr Account on Other Websites. Linking to your Tumblr account from Facebook or Twitter or other social media websites is a good way to build the number of followers for your webpage. More people will want to see your Tumblr account page when they see a link to it on Facebook or through Twitter.
How To Schedule Auto-Posting
- Tumblr makes posting or reblogging links, images, and more fast and easy. It’s easy to overwhelm your Tumblr followers.
- In the upper right corner of the Create Posts page, click the drop-down menu and choose Add to Queue instead of Publish Now.
- Set post timing and parameters on the Queue page. Go to your Dashboard, click the name of your Tumblr blog on the top, then click Queue on the right sidebar. Or you can go to www.tumblr.com/tumblelog/(your blog )/queue.
From here you can set number of posts per day and the hours when posts can go live.
How To Create Static Pages
These pages can be useful whether you use Tumblr for pro blogging or to share your favorite links or images with your friends.
- On the Customize page, click the Pages tab, then click Add a Page.
- Create a short but descriptive URL for your page; something like: yourblogname.tumblr.com/about
- Choose a page type from the dropdown; Standard Layout will use your current Tumblr template, Custom Layout allows you to enter your own HTML for the entire page including layout and body text.
- Using the Standard Layout, choose a Page Title, then the body of the page. A simple WYSIWYG editor allows for some formatting, images, and links.
- Check the box next to Show a link to this page if you want the link on your sidebar and click Create Page.
How To Post From Your Phone
On the Tumblr Goodies page users can find multiple ways to post to Tumblr on the go, from e-mail to apps for iPad, iPhone, Android and BlackBerry. However, even if you don’t have a smart phone you can still post while mobile.
In the end, ask yourself if you’ll be providing additional content. If the answer is no then perhaps Tumblr isn’t for you, but if you are looking to supplement your blog’s content and build a network outside the blog and make your blog more accessible to others then Tumblr might work for you.